Can Toni Braxton Survive Another Commercially Unsuccessful Album?

Toni Braxton has had 4 unsuccessful albums and 3 successful albums. this means that she has more unsuccessful albums than successful onces.  she really need a big hit this time around.  i heard an interview with babyface and la reid when they were promoting secrets and they said that they search hard for a big ballad.  i believe she needs to search hard for another big hit.  she needs a huge uptempo hit with a big beat and catchy hook like he wasnt man enough or ur making me high and a massive ballad like unbreak my heart.  she needs to go back to her roots..  she needs to find back those songwriters and producers..  we really want u to be successsful this time

Views: 1379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wait till she drops the next album and see whas happens !

So everyone who bought Toni Braxton and Secrets album does not buy music anymore? That comment sounds so dumb! Toni has tried to reach "today's music audience" on her last 4 albums but has been unsuccessful at it and yet at the same time by not putting out the solid r&b she is known for she was not able to appeal to urban contemporary music buyers.

Doomsday said:

But we need to forget the past for now and focus on what Toni has available as options... The ppl that bought Toni Braxton and Secrets are probably NOT buying music so much anymore.... So Toni needs to reach today's music audience....

I mean, look at Beyonce... The ppl that were buying DC4 albums are probably NOT buying her latest efforts, therefore she needed to broaden her audience... Which she has...  Shes a VERY crossover artist...

I agree 100%

Deno Rowe said:

Only a return to her roots can save Toni's career. If she continues to try to keep up with these new kids on the block she'll fail again. I am a die hard fan and listen to Toni on a daily basis. I want to see her come back to commercial success. This can only happen if she returns to her roots and if she has promotion and a whole lot of it too. I am liking that I heart you hasn't leaked. This demonstrates that The Collective is keeping things under wraps. I suspect the new tune will be released after the reunion of BFV. I can't wait for a real Toni come back where she is selling 350,000 albums in one week and push eventually to the 2 or 3 million sales. That is when you know an artist is back. Her three previous albums have plummeted in sales because of lack of promotion. People will buy albums if there is hype around it regardless of critics reviews or even leakage. Toni has just had an horrible period since leaving Arista/Laface. We all thought Atlantic would have done a better job but that didn't pan out either. The only thing for her to do is to get together with Harvey, Babyface, Dianne Warren, L.A. Reid and The Collective. She also needs to invest in a 12 or 13 track album, heavy promotion, heavy radio play, two videos and every tv show possible and a bit of celebrity promotion from her friends. She can come back to the Toni sales we had in the 90s. I believe in her. I believe in her voice. Her voice is still strong and I know she can belt it out as she did on the Today Show when she sang UBMH. I love you Toni and we're all counting on you this time to make a great album that will sell. 

Let's not even get started on the past and what LaFace should have done..  It has been documented to death how they treated their artists during the labels conception and the beginning years.  When you're billing the artist for the flowers you sent them to congratulate the release of whatever album... you are lowdown and dirty.   

I have had so much love for every album Toni has put out; however, I will say that she has always been a step behind the trend since The Heat.. before MTAW she was a trend setter.  

She wore the JLo dress after JLo made headlines with it, she rocked the Amerie beats way after Amerie, she was promoting More than a Woman right after Aaliyah had a hit of the same title (not exactly right after but pretty dang close), she was promoting "Me and My Boyfriend" after JayZ and Beyonce made their version into megahit.. and you can go on and on.

During MTAW Toni made a comment "I want to be an entertainer first, then an artist."  That was a huge mistake and I think she is righting the ship, now.  With the success of her show she can afford to be an artist first. 

She needs to strike while the iron is hot.  These pockets of good press and successful reality shows only last so long. 

Hi guys! I have followed the discussion. It's good to see that all of you have positive remarks on toni braxton's albums. Whether those four albums could not make a big hit as the three ones, (toni braxton, secrets and the heat) the fact will always remain that her music is beautiful and her voice is so unique. That's the reason why toni will always be my number one female artist in the world and the reason why I love her so dearly. I have been toni braxton's fan since when I was 14 in 1993 when I first heard breathe again, I grew up listening to her music, now I'm 33 there is nothing will ever stop me from loving her.

I agree with you Godfrey......I was 10 or 11 when I heard Breathe Again, it was a girl I was seeing as a young kid...she said it was our song...oh the 90's and making a song yours when your in grammer school, lol....But when I heard that TONI voice I was in to it then when I SAW HER, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Beauty and she has stayed the same all these years later, her voice is the same and her beauty inside and out, she is a true real deal....we dont get much of those anymore, I had the chance to be called up on stage with toni in 2006, my life was complete, Ill never forget it!!!!   LOVE TONI FOREVEr, I really like her sister TRINA too....

OMG Godrey, are you serious?!?!  That was the same time I fell in love with Toni.  I was 14 when I heard Breathe Again on the radio and when she took that breath at the end of the song I was like "who is that"?  I've been in love with her ever since.  I'm now 33 and still love her just the same!

Godfrey Emmanuel said:

Hi guys! I have followed the discussion. It's good to see that all of you have positive remarks on toni braxton's albums. Whether those four albums could not make a big hit as the three ones, (toni braxton, secrets and the heat) the fact will always remain that her music is beautiful and her voice is so unique. That's the reason why toni will always be my number one female artist in the world and the reason why I love her so dearly. I have been toni braxton's fan since when I was 14 in 1993 when I first heard breathe again, I grew up listening to her music, now I'm 33 there is nothing will ever stop me from loving her.

I was also 10 when I heard Breath Again it drove me crazy nd I have to admit I went school one day I started singing tht song with a friend of mine, nd I remember asking her “who's the guy singing the song” and she seriously laughed @ me nd said its not a guy its actually a lady. So frm tht day on I loved this lady still do u knw why1) she's gorgeous 2) her voice is unique 3) she can really sing nd most importantly I remember one nite things got worse in my life nd I decided to commit suicide the radio played”LET IT FLOW” I got lost in the song nd I 4got wht I wanted to in other words she saved my life so practically its not bout sales or being #1 on the charts(though I'd like tht) but its bout the quality of music she puts out.

Agreed !!! 

Erleevis said:

blah blah blah...Who says Tonis last albums werent "Successful"??? MTAW and LIBRA both managed to go GOLD with one single and lttle to no promo. Thats success to me. And PULSE didnt go GOLD but like Toni said at that particular time she wasnt recording for a "HIT" record, she was recording because she thought she never would be able to again. We must look at the big picture, it isnt easy to recreate such success that Toni had with the first 3 albums, especially in todays music where the quality of music has drestically dropped. It is our jobs to stay positive, how dowe expect Toni to have the success she deserves if we are putting bad energy on a single that hasnt even been released yet. When Beyonce and Rihanna release singles i never hear their fans doubting or bashing, they are just happy to know new music is being released...Im just saying success starts here!...everyone has their own opinion,TRUE, but if its negative how about keeping it tourself. At least until you actually hear the song.

Most of you all,  have brought out some valid points ! In my personal opinion , I feel that Toni is comfortable where she is at ! I don't think she cares about being relevant in today's music market . I feel that all of her albums were great since " The Heat " Do I feel that she gets the respect that she deserves NO !! But she is not the only artist that does get props . We just need to keep supporting her in whatever she does !!  In another note !! Toni has been real quiet lately !! DOES ANYONE ELSE SMELL SOMETHING BIG FOR HER !!! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Dzemil.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service